Sunday 27 April 2014

Absence makes the heart grow fonder...



Hello everyone! Today I wanted to write about something that is pretty close to my heart, so it's taken me a while to get this right. I wanted to talk to you all about the way things change when you see your loved one for the first time after a long period of being apart. And how, sometimes, things aren't always the storybook romance we expect...


It's been a while since I last posted - I've been absolutely bombarded with deadlines in the past week, but I've found a bit of spare time to get back on track here. This week Mr. S and I were reunited and as wonderful as it was, I was reminded of how true the phrase 'absence makes the heart grow fonder' really is. 

I've said from the start that this would be a place for honesty, so even if it doesn't pass me off in the best light, I will be honest. 

We'd been anticipating our first day back together for 5 weeks. 5 weeks of cute phone calls before we went to bed, 5 weeks of random texts throughout the day saying 'I love you' and 'I miss you', as well as some really sweet texts telling each other how we felt about one another... Something Mr. S said particularly moved me as I woke up to a message he'd sent from a friend's house telling me that he had been sat there thinking that all he wanted was to be snuggled up in the middle of the night where we both randomly touch and he pulls me into his body before falling asleep together. 


5 weeks of that. 

We had one day together which felt amazing; he picked me up from the train station and once we were parked up outside his house we didn't even go in straight away, just sat and kissed in the car, getting used to the feeling of each other again. We went inside, had a chat with his housemates, reunited in private as all couples would (we lasted 10 minutes in the house before we went to his bedroom...) and then took a drive into the countryside and had lunch together in a cosy pub as the rain fell outside. We sung in the car all the way home and then just relaxed together all night. He actually had a little surprise for me - but more on that another time... all in all, it was a normal day for us but felt so wonderful just to be with each other again; holding hands and exchanging kisses.


This bit was a little like the films...

Round 4 and this still applied... he is a machine.

And then all of a sudden we're back to normal life and we're both completely bogged down with various deadlines and late hours. The next morning was cut short by him needing to continue with his work and I couldn't stay as long as we'd both have liked to. And even though when I got home I knew he was only a short journey away, I still missed him. I really felt like with the amount of time we'd spent apart we deserved to have a little longer than just one afternoon and evening together, but life tends to get in the way I suppose.

It's not that we feel any less for each other, but the excitement of seeing your partner after a long time apart does of course fade when things get back to normal. The little disagreements creep back in and in general dealing with things outside of your relationship have to come first sometimes. When you can readily see them that anticipation doesn't exist... but I think I'm feeling the way I am because I'm not readily seeing him simply because of our work loads. 

Get the violins out... ;)

I came back expecting some good old-fashioned quality time, and maybe I shouldn't have. I'm finding myself getting annoyed at things I wouldn't usually, and I know it's because I haven't seen him as much as I would have liked.

I suppose what I'm getting at is that a reunion after a period of long-distance isn't always like they make it out to be in the films. Life carries on moving and you have to as well. Don't get disappointed when the sweet little texts for no reason stop arriving and when you don't have a lovely message to read when you wake up. 


The longer you can go without them, the more worth it it is.


They still love you, and you still love them. Your love is bigger than the changes your relationship goes through. Ultimately, you've survived the distance and the long waiting to see the one you love again. Don't jeopardise that - get used to the way your relationship is when there's a lot of external pressure in your life, because you can't change that. 

Love, B. xo

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to talk to me! All comments are moderated, if you don't get a reply that'll be why. You can comment anonymously by hitting that cheeky drop-down-arrow below, so feel free to tell me your naughty secrets...