Tuesday 1 July 2014

"I'll be there someday, I can go the distance..."

Hello everybody! I'm chatting about long distance relationships again. Just a general update and how I'm feeling, but just for fun there are a lot of Hercules references - and if you didn't get that from the title, and don't know what I'm talking about, you're probably not old enough to be here. Disclaimer: there are a lot of gifs...

So it's been 2 weeks and 4 days since I've seen Mr. S and it'll be 2 weeks and 4 days until I do! We're halfway through what I'm calling 'The First Leg' of this whole long-distance thing. 



Of course, it is and it isn't 'The First Leg'. It's never as simple as that I suppose. Clearly it is the first part of our lives together but apart, but I'm not sure it's valid calling it the 'First' as it sort of implies I know when the last is... and right now I don't (one reason to panic). 


Panic mode: on

But in my head, I'm thinking of it that way, as I think it's something to aim for, it keeps me motivated and more importantly it keeps me content - which I'll talk more about later...

Guys, as a general rule, think a lot less than we girls do. And I'm okay with that - in fact I think I'm grateful for it. Because although I know I wrote in my last post (which you can read HERE) that I felt better about this upcoming year, but truth be told... I am 100%, grade 1, completely freaking out now. 

"It's okay, I'm cool, I'm cool"

And if Mr. S was doing the same, god knows where we'd be right now. 

So I don't know what he's calling it in his head, but I could bet a reasonable sum of money that he's not calling it anything. That, in his mind, this is just our relationship now so we have to get on with it.

Hades knows best.

And even though I do know all of that, I'm what most people would call a typical girl. I worry and I panic and I'm not even ashamed to admit it! We shouldn't be girls; since when is showing emotion and also displaying how much you care, i.e. revealing your vulnerability, something to be embarrassed about.

Hercules showed his weakness, so can we.

So in my mind, this is the first leg, and we're doing fine. So what's to say we won't be doing fine in all the other chapters to come? Though it seems inane, and unimportant, I personally feel that one of the things that helps a long-distance relationship survive is knowing when the period of long-distance will be over. Because it's sort of a deadline, and something to work towards. If you know in your head, "by next May, this will all be over" it's a comforting thought - the pain you're currently going through won't last forever. 

Missing him is temporary.

But, life, as it usually does, has turned a corner and where we originally had that 'deadline', we don't anymore. I couldn't tell any of you when the next period of our lives will be where we're living close by. Mr. S and I have been very lucky in that for the past year we've lived only a short walk from one another, and it'll be the transition from this into what our relationship is now (and is for the foreseeable future) that will be most difficult. 

Something that's keeping me distracted though, as I said earlier, is keeping content. At the moment I don't have a place of my own, as I'll soon be property-searching abroad and the lease on my own flat was up, so I'm back at home with my family. That's something that's keeping me busy in itself... spending time with my parents, siblings, and grandparents too, has been wonderful, as I am away for the majority of the year. 

My mum is an amazing cook, so that's been another benefit too aha, gorgeous food! It's inspired me to get cooking a bit more adventurously too, another thing to occupy my mind. Other things I'm doing at the moment include looking for a job, redecorating my room, having one hell of a clearout, and reading lots of good books.

All of those things to think about, as well as making time to Skype Mr. S or catch up on the phone every now and again, have made this first-half-of-the-first-leg fly by. And yeah, maybe I don't know when the last leg will be. Maybe there won't be a last leg ever. But even if there isn't, I'm gonna enjoy this next year (or however long), because it's not every day you get to go live in another country, doing something you love. And it's not every day that someone is committed to you enough to stick by you while you follow your own path.

As long as there are flowers and kisses

So I guess I'm not doing too badly.

Love, B. xo

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to talk to me! All comments are moderated, if you don't get a reply that'll be why. You can comment anonymously by hitting that cheeky drop-down-arrow below, so feel free to tell me your naughty secrets...